Stats

Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Comfortably Numb

An eventful day with back to back meetings most of the morning and afternoon, followed by a trip to the dentist - my first since before the start of the lockdown in Dubai in March. It was originally going to be a rather belated check up (even though the lockdown ended in June, I must confess that the UAE Government’s social distancing requirements provided a convenient excuse to put off an appointment). However, a couple of days ago I could feel an unexpectedly rough tooth edge with my tongue and sure enough part of a tooth had apparently broken off  and I now need a crown (poetic justice I guess for the delayed dental visit). 

I was telling the dentist that my Father back in the UK  had broken a tooth a couple of months ago and is still waiting for an appointment to fix it (a wait that seems likely to grow longer given the new lockdown in UK starting tonight....). My dentist told me about receiving during the Summer  a Whattsapp from a former patient  who had moved to the UK, telling a very similar story - broken tooth and no dental appointments available to fix it. He was  able to access her old dental records from his surgery and identify the miscreant tooth and suggest some temporary palliatives. Her rather unexpected response was to book a flight and to spend a couple of days back in Dubai catching up with old friends and having a crown fitted by him during the visit! I probably will not mention this story to my Father as I am pretty certain he requires very little excuse to leave UK at the moment.

In other news, the US Presidential election is apparently to close to call, so we have to wait a little longer to see who will be the next leader of the free world.

No comments:

Post a Comment