Stats

Sunday, November 27, 2022

Cool like Cary

 I watched North by North West on the flight home yesterday. 

I have seen it before many years ago so had a vague recollection about the more iconic scenes involving Mount Rushmore and our hero being dive bombed by a crop dusting aircraft. However, what struck me on re-watching it was the crisp dialogue and snappy dressing of the main players - Cary Grant somehow looked immaculate throughout notwithstanding the vicissitudes visited upon him by various hoodlums (and aircraft) and James Mason made a particularly suave villain. 

The traditional Hitchcock blonde leading lady was Eva Marie Saint who I don’t think I have really seen in much else but was really good in this film.

I am almost inspired to take a bit more interest in my tailoring the next time I buy a suit (although given how rarely I seem to need a suit these days, it may be a long while before I get a chance to put this into practice).

I also watched another movie afterwards which starred an actor sharing Mr Grant’s first name - this time Carrie (Fisher) who appeared alongside a young looking Tom Hanks in “The Burbs”. Very different kind of film with nowhere near the same levels of sartorial elegance!

No comments:

Post a Comment