Stats

Monday, November 8, 2021

Food for thought

Whilst we have been lucky enough to have D. and currently G. as Helpers who are very good cooks, they have tended to stick to traditional Western cuisine rather than Phillipino food so I was recently able to extend my experience of authentic Asian dishes when we were treated to some food from the Philippines as part of a “World Tour” of cooking through work. 

It was a fairly eclectic mix of various different dishes which mixed Asian and western foods including curries and deep fried fish dishes and some extremely brightly coloured deserts. I thoroughly enjoyed it and reminded me a little of when I first arrived in Hong Kong where my previous experience of Chinese food in UK was mainly sweet and sour dishes and  “Chop Suey” (interestingly one of the Phillipino dishes  we were offered at the work event). 

As it turned out “Chinese” food, I learnt very quickly, came in multiple shapes, forms and levels of spiciness ( I seem to recall I was particularly taken by Szechuanese food when I was first in HK where the extensive use of extremely hot peppers were something of a trap for the unwary), and I was quickly transported into a whole new world of tastes and sensations.

Whilst I suspect that the food of the Philippines is likely to be less extensive than the various regional cuisines of China, I am very much looking forward to further opportunities to investigate it based on this first proper exploration!

No comments:

Post a Comment