Stats

Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Nice cup of tea

 I have always enjoyed a decent cup of tea and have inherited from the Irish side of my family (particularly my Mother)  a recognition of the importance of ensuring that the right ingredients, added in the right order,  in the right combination and at the right temperature is of critical importance.

I am quite happy to make a single cup with a bag although I recognise for purists a nice pot and loose tea-leaves adds to the theatre of the preparation (and is likely to lead to more consistent  and perhaps better outcomes).

Accordingly, all I need is freshly boiled water, and a decent brand of tea (currently enjoying Two Birds) at the right strength (English or Irish breakfast in a bag is fine). It must be allowed to brew for the correct period of time - Em bought me a set of sand timers for 3, 4 and 5 minutes and I find 5 minutes gets the colour to the right shade of brown.

Half or full fat fresh dairy milk is a must. I find that some hotels simply cannot produce decent milk for tea - it does not seem to matter how long you leave the bag to brew, as soon as you add the milk it developes an acrid taste. The worst offenders are in continental Europe although I have been struggling to make myself a decent cup during my current hearing and I can only ascribe it to the UHT milk they provide. At least it is not heated milk (I always order tea here in Dubai specifying “cold milk on the side’’).

There is nothing better than a nice cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment