Stats

Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Going to the Dogs

I spent much of yesterday trying to select a PCR Covid test provider who could satisfy three key requirements; the right type of test (RT-PCR or nothing as far as the UAE authorities are concerned - none of this rapid antigen rubbish was deemed suitable for those of us returning to Dubai); the right price point (and boy is there a wide variety of prices - some even more eye watering than the test itself) and a reasonably convenient location.

It was the last of these that proved the most challenging as most of the clinics/providers within any reasonable distance of  my Father’s house did not do the required version of the Covid test. 

In the end I plumbed for a “pop up” clinic (in fact a small caravan) located in a car park outside Crayford Greyhound stadium in a particularly unlovely part of Dartford. For the princely sum of £99 I got to self administer the test under the supervision of (I assume) a nurse in a tiny room with only one seat (and a very effective heater).

The location was also notable for a huge Sainsburys next door to which I repaired having arrived just in time for the testers lunch break. Notwithstanding the size of the store and the pictures of various hot dishes plastered on the walls, the in-store cafe had the most meagre selection of hot meals I think I have ever seen in a place claiming to serve hot and cold food on a professional basis.

I ended up with a warmed up bacon roll (best of a very limited choice). Definitely hoping that the test results (due within 24 hours) are more satisfactory.

No comments:

Post a Comment