Stats

Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Driving like the devil

 Back in the day, most of my journeys by car were taken by taxi. This was particularly true of Hong Kong days where bus or taxi were a reasonably cheap and hassle free mode of transport although we did have a (pretty ancient) car which was mainly used for trips to the shop or beach. 

When we first arrived in Dubai I continued to use  Taxis and I have previously posted about some of the more hair raising journeys I have taken both here and in HK. 

But in more recent years I have tended to drive myself and since the pandemic I have normally driven to work functions or meetings in my own car and where necessary taken a safe driver (a very Dubai arrangement where if you want to have a couple of glasses of wine, you can pay someone to drive you home from an event or restaurant) home.

However, due to a particularly hectic schedule this week, I have taken a couple of regular taxis rather than Uber/Careem or my own car and boy has it been a reminder of some of the more white knuckle journeys from years gone by and tonight’s trip home was a particularly good example. 

In Dubai there is a warning sound on taxis when the speed limit is exceeded and throughout our journey there was a constant electronic chirping as we sailed through the night roads at top speed, hard up the rear end of the car in front and much flashing of lights to encourage greater speed or a move to one side to let us past.

In consequence tonight’s ride home was certainly the quickest for many years although I suspect I will soon be returning to my own car as a less rapid but more comfortable mode of transportation.

No comments:

Post a Comment