Stats

Thursday, November 10, 2016

New beginnings?

The big news today is that Donald Trump is the new US President. Following hot on the heels of Brexit, this is a good example of why I should not trust my political instincts anymore! I thought that the Brexit vote would probably be close but that Remain would win and I thought that DT was most unlikely to be voted in as President. Very wrong on both counts and it just goes to show how living in a little expat bubble for over 10 years can leave someone with very little idea about what makes people tick politically in UK and USA (although to be honest I have always found US politics a little hard to fathom out!).

IT will be very interesting to see what happens next. I have probably followed this American election with more interest than usual although I do recall from Obama's first victory how it seemed to be achieved on the back of a groundswell of hope for the future. How times have changed. No such groundswell today with this US election being very much characterised by constant personal attacks on each other by the candidates. Hopefully this will not set the pattern of behaviour for the next 4 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment