Stats

Saturday, November 5, 2022

This Sporting Life

Due to the myriad bumps and bruises that I have inflicted on myself over the last couple of weeks (as well as a lingering cold) , the title today is focussed on a topic that has cropped up in my  blogs over a number of years namely the extraordinary breadth and depth of sporting activities one can view from one’s sofa (on TV). 

When I was growing up in 1970’s Maidstone, a highlights show of football on Match of the Day (BBC) and/or the Big Match (ITV) was the limit of  any football fans viewing pleasure - the main entertainment would be (in those days) to go to the old London Road ground (“Our Target is the Football League”) to watch Maidstone United play in the Southern Premier League (and in those days you were pretty match guaranteed at least 5 or 6 goals).

 My Father has always been a rugby fan but he was always happy to take me a long to stand in the terraces on a overcast Saturday afternoon to watch the “Stones”  and it stood me in good stead for my subsequent spectating career ( I guess I have always enjoyed actually participating  whether it is Football, Cricket or  - these days cycling - but the next best thing or indeed sometimes the best thing has been watching live sporting action).

From watching Kent play cricket at the Mote or England play test cricket at Lords or the Oval -  or T20 in Sharjah or Dubai, or England play rugby in Ireland, France or Scotland or any mainstream sport played well, I have always enjoyed the frisson of excitement of entering a sports stadium with 1000’s of like minded fans.  

I am currently watching Ireland play South Africa on TV and Ireland are currently winning 16 - 6 - whilst watching it on TV is great fun (and certainly not something I could have done in 1070’s UK), I am sure it would be better to be watching it in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment