Stats

Friday, November 11, 2022

Song sounds better on a stolen guitar

 Apologies for the missed post yesterday - I spent yesterday evening waiting to return to Dubai at KSA airport which limited my access to the internet so will do two posts today to make up. 

Today’s first topic is the phenomenon known as watching someone else’s TV screen while flying. 

I am not sure there is a word for it (may be tandem TV watching although the other viewer is generally unaware that they are sharing their televisual experience) but  I occasionally find myself doing it particularly where I cannot be bothered to find  something to watch on my own screen or my attention is caught when another film/show looks more interesting/engaging than the movie I have selected. 

It is quite odd in some ways because you do not have any sound and usually the screen is some distance away (with various heads/seat rests in the way) but I certainly found myself doing it during last night’s flight where the chap in the front and to the left of me was watching what looked like a fairly atmospheric thriller. 

Fortunately he had put the subtitles on so I was able to glean some of the dialogue and it soon became clear that it was genre that I would almost certainly not choose myself - a science fiction horror movie (although it was only after I became particularly engrossed in it that the horror elements became clear - I cannot remember the last time I knowingly watched a horror movie -  probably “An American Werewolf in London” when it first came out around 30 years ago and indeed thinking about it, I am not sure I have watched any other movies of that type) - so I was on unfamiliar ground.

Anyway, last night’s film was called “Nope” (deduced from the Subtitles) and even with the screen showing the dialogue, was a little difficult to follow - the main action concerned “mysterious goings on”at a remote - presumably American - ranch where the rather taciturn owner spent a lot of time staring moodily into the desert (this might simply be a function of the that I could not hear the sound track and the subtitles did not bother to show all sound/dialogue so it is possible he was quite talkative) while all the electrics fizzled out and then came back on. It also seemed to involve a sub-plot involving a failed stunt animal trainer and some kind of old style western horse show (at one stage a Gorilla started attacking everyone).

As is the way with these things, the plane landed before the film had finished and so I did not get to see whether they worked out what - if any - type of Alien was causing the problems. Accordingly, I did what any normal person would do in these circumstances and looked up the plot on Wikipedia. 

For those who have not yet seen the movie I do not propose to give too much of the game away but certainly it appears that things do not end well for all the protagonists.

No comments:

Post a Comment